Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Conversations

It is amazing what a tiny little nugget will inspire in the mind of a child. This evening, after Cary read to McKinley, I rocked him for our usual snuggle time before bed. As he gets older I hold on dearly to this special time and am always amazed by how it has changed over the last 3 and a half years...we have always read, then it would be bottle time while we rocked him to sleep. Then it became reading and water time. As he has become so, shall we say, conversational??? it has become our time to quietly chat about something that won't get him too riled up. So, knowing this, WHY did I say, "Hey, McKinley would you like to make Christmas Cookies tomorrow?"
Yeah, I don't know either.......
I think THAT was about all I said other than, "Uh huh" and "Oh?" and "Yes." for the next 30 minutes. And during that time I heard the following, in what seemed to be said in ONE.GIANT.BREATH.
"Mommy, can we have a bake restaurant? A Bakery? And can I invite Nonna to come help us? And can Daddy come home from work and help too? And can we have customers? In the living room? And can we make some cookies for Mammy & Grandpa & Nonna & Daddy & ME & you and...and...and...Savannah? And Robin & Rick? And Isabella & Emily & Ian? And Amy? (which is only fair that he return the favor and replace some of HER cookies...he loves HER cookies)
And can we make a sign???????!!!!!!!!!!!!
It can say WELCOME TO McKINLEY'S BAKERY!
And we can decorate it with stickers and markers and stickers of stars and sprinkles and trains and with snowflakes going all around and around and it will make people feel all warm and fuzzy? And can we bake in our comfies?
And can we put glitter on the sign? And lots of shapes? And we can make it wood with a string on it, to hang it up!
Oh
My
Gosh
It's like I am hearing my own thoughts when I envision a party, a gathering, any event really...
I literally had to stop him and practically threaten to take all bakery privileges away. It took him quite some time to chill from that conversation...oops.
Oh well, we'll be making some yummy cookies and some wonderful memories in McKinley's bakery tomorrow!
Feel free to stop by...in the living room...you can't miss the giant wood sign, hung by a string with glitter and stickers and snowflakes going all around to make you warm and fuzzy...It says, "WELCOME TO MCKINLEY'S BAKERY".
We'll be there!
Lynn

No comments: