Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!

What a beautiful Christmas we have been blessed with! It's white, that's for sure!

On Christmas Eve, my Mom took McKinley out for lunch and to let him do a little shopping for Mommy & Daddy - how cute is that? Of course, he chose the movie "Despicable Me". Perfect! While they did that I did some last minute shopping, made final meal plans and got ready for our big night.


After Cary got home from work I made dinner (we opted out of our annual Chinese this year. Shakin' it up!) and we headed off to Christmas Eve Mass. Once we were home we set out to finish some Christmas cookies for Santa and put his treats out as well as some Reindeer Food and Santa's Magic Key (since we have no fireplace). While we were busy at work the Polar Express played in the background. Love that movie!

When we put the reindeer food outside in the snow, we repeated the little verse as we sprinkled the food around, then placed Santa's magic key at our front door.

Soon it was time for bed and our annual reading of "T'was the Night Before Christmas". We all enjoy that little tradition, I am so glad we started it four Christmases ago.

Not long after that our own child was nestled all snug in his bed...though I'm not sure he had visions of sugar plums, more like drum sets and bicycles - his biggest wish from Santa.

On Christmas morning, McKinley came to wake us. Cary sent him into the living room and we waited for a reaction. McKinley scurried back down the hall and came running into our room, "Mommy! Daddy! Come look! Santa brought me a drum set!"
Precious.

We opened a few gifts then I started a breakfast casserole and cinnamon rolls. By the time they were finished baking McKinley announced he was ready for a break from opening gifts. Okay, so intermission? That's our sign we over did it.

Literally, several hours later, after we finished my Mom came over. She and I started making Christmas dinner while Cary and McKinley ventured outside to make a snowman, duly named "Frosty".

Once the boys got warm it was time to eat. It was yummy, but I was happiest with just having my very first Christmas dinner in our home. The carrots, we all agreed, should have been cooked longer despite our following the recipe, we had an insane amount of mashed potatoes. The ham and rolls were perfect, and the butternut squash gratin was different (I plan to tweak the recipe and make it my own...it will be much better when I'm finished with it!).


After dinner we opened more gifts - from Nonna and friends. We talked to Mammy & Grandpa on the phone and played with McKinley's new toys (while I immediately began making a mental plan on reorganizing the playroom - out with the old, in with the new). Everyone went to bed so happy. We had a wonderful day together.


A few days after Christmas we were able to have a little gathering with my Godparents and their Granddaughter, Shelby. We all had a great time visiting for a short while!


More Christmas recaps to come - weather has prevented us from seeing Cary's family. Sure has been snowy this year!

I am so thankful for another beautiful Christmas. This one was the best yet!

Merry Christmas!

Lynn


You can't tell from this photo, but the array of presents start at the drum set and wind all the way back to the walls, under the tree and against the sofa and chair!


McKinley, tongue out like his Mama, in full rock star drummer mode.







No comments: