I was absolutely thrilled when I learned that the 3 year olds were being invited to the fire station, field trips are usually reserved for the 4 year olds only. I was truly thrilled for McKinley, who I knew would be pleased as punch when he found out where we were going. I was right...and this morning when he requested to wear his fire fighter helmet and boots I knew it was on! And can I just say how thrilled I was to have the opportunity to BE a field trip mom? OMG, so awesome. When McKinley asked last night if I would be staying with him on his special school day I could have cried when his face lit up after he learned I would be coming with him ALL DAY. That is something I will always treasure.
The other really cool part of the day was that we got to ride the city bus to and from the station - another favorite of McKinley's. So we arrived on our big red bus and were immediately met by a bunch of fire fighters peeking outside the garage doors at ALL THESE CHILDREN headed their way. And they thought the kids would be intimidated by THEM...other way around! The kids talked to some paramedics, and some fire fighters and as we were learning about all the cool things on the fire truck both the ambulance and a fire truck were called out on a run. It was pretty cool to watch them run (really, really fast!), turn on the lights and sirens and GO! Thankfully, it was not a fire and the fire truck was back very soon.
We toured much of the fire station and watched a fire safety movie. The trip ended with each child receiving a badge, a fire helmet and lots of other goodies from their new friends. Everyone was so well behaved and had a great time! I am so thankful to have had this chance to be a part of McKinley's first big trip.
Lynn








No comments:
Post a Comment