Then everyone stepped inside the chicken coop. WOW! Turkeys, baby chickens, big chickens! EVERYWHERE! All of the children took right to feeding them, so excited! I looked away for just one second, turned back around and McKinley was fully-engulfed in feeding turkeys that were nearly as tall as him. I briefly thought to myself...huh! there IS some of me in him! I mean, you wouldn't know it by looking, but I grew up in the COUNTRY. We didn't have farm animals, but my grandparents owned farmland, my parents and I lived on 3 acres of beautiful country with a HUGE red barn, a little creek running through and wild animals abounding. It was a great upbringing and I treasure beautiful memories from it. I loved playing outside at my grandparents home and getting to do things like gooseberry, raspberry and blackberry picking. Anyway, there's my boy...clearly enjoying every second with these animals.
After we were finished feeding the animals it began raining again, so we went inside to see if the chickens had laid any eggs...and they had! So each child got to collect an egg for their very own. McKinley was thrilled with his pick...and even more thrilled that Savannah placed her egg inside his bucket. He was so careful with them! Precious.
The day wasn't over yet! We took our eggs and moved onto the pear orchard where each child picked some pears to take home. The rain continued and the kids were hungry, so we went inside where the farm owner fed the kids pbj's, fresh eggs and cookies.
Can I just say how well McKinley napped? Frankly, me too. I don't often nap but man! Between the cool, rainy weather, the early morning drive and all the events piled into two hours on the farm, this mama was POOPED!
We had such a great time and were so thankful for the invitation. McKinley learned a lot and enjoyed his time with his friends...new and old...furry, feathered and otherwise. Despite the rain and the first real day with a fall chill in the air - it was perfect.








No comments:
Post a Comment