Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Birthday that Bears Repeating

Yeah, it's SO not July anymore, but considering some recent circumstances I felt as though my son's 3rd birthday party should have some more pomp and, well, circumstance...again!
The day was perfect...until minutes before the party began. And then what? Downpour. Yeah, I totally stood in my bathroom, finishing getting ready and having an out-loud (no, I'm not ashamed to admit) convo with none other than Mother Freakin' Nature herself. I vehemently expressed how we didn't need rain at that very moment...and that should She decide that was in deed the time that I would promptly put a cease and desist to ALL.RECYCLING.

Take that, Mother...Nature.
Well, she did make it rain just enough that it got muggy...and the guests who were happily arriving were suddenly making a Bee Line inside our home, under the back porch, or passing along McKinley's beautifully and thoughtfully wrapped presents under said porch, via human chain. Did I also mention that the coming in and going out during said rainstorm made my WINDOWS FOG? The windows we had just weeks before cleaned so well...yeah, no one could see outside - or inside - AT ALL.

Okay, I'm over it - except for the brief mental breakdown I had...but who noticed? Yeah, I know...everyone. But in the time it took for me to man a sudden ice-tea-on-the-kitchen-wall crisis the rain was over and we were all ready to par-tay. So, the fun prevailed and recycling resumed!

First, Brent, my Godfather led us in prayer. This is a tradition we began last year, led by Grandma V. and one I rather like. It's quite a sight to see many friends and some family, and loads of beautiful, healthy children standing hand-in-hand in a moment. It was not quiet for long! Everyone munched on some hors d'oeuvres I prepared and we got started on the first activity for the kiddos - tattoos and face painting! Special thanks to my Mom and Jodi for their way awesome face painting/tattooing skills. I'm proud to say my son walked away looking a little like John Mayer with a full sleeve. (Note: McKinley, I like a good sleeve on you...as long as it washes off, babe. Real ink doesn't...trust me. )
Soon we were moving on to the Oil Pan Open, a water balloon throwing contest originally scheduled for kids AND adults, but the kids were having so much fun that it was just impossible to stop such a good time being had! Fletcher was the winner of our 2010 Oil Pan Open and took home the Oil Pan trophy.

Time for cake - and what a cake it was! My Mom's dear friend, Gretchen (who catered our wedding and has since made some really beautiful cakes for us) pulled out all the stops on this one. I think it is safe to say it was slightly outside of her comfort zone, I mean, Lightening McQueen? She's used to beautiful live floral arrangements being placed atop her delicious cakes, but a racing trophy? Not so much. When she pulled into the drive I saw this look on her face...she totally had a blast making this cake and it showed! It was awesome. I was amazed, McKinley was amazed...and guests came back for seconds, or even thirds! Wahooo! The look on our son's face says it all. THIS is why we like throwing big birthday parties for him...it's for HIM! He was smiling from EAR to EAR!

We ended the day with his thoughtful gifts, and again I step back and silent observe the following: "Where the hell are we going to put all of these toys?" and, most importantly, "McKinley is a blessed, blessed boy." He is blessed with the love, generosity and thoughtfulness of some really amazing people every day of his life. It isn't just on his birthday that I reflect on things like this, it is there all the time - in the everyday! Furthermore, Cary and I are doubly blessed: we have an amazing little boy who astounds us and makes us the happiest people on Earth every day. We are also blessed with the same amazing, loving people who take the time to come to our home and share a very happy day with us. It means more than I know how to express. Truly.
So, another one in the books...and here's to next year! It'll be another BIG PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything to make our son smile...

Lynn
P.S. And MORE awesome photos! The best one is first! Funniest cake photo EVER! Mary, between McKinley and Ezra, holds Ezra's mouth so he will not blow out the candles. Ezra, obviously surprised by his sisters knee-jerk reaction, keeps blowing while McKinley obliviously blows away! I LOVE THIS!

No comments: