Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Very Retro Movie Experience

Today was AWESOME! This summer (and evidently, for the last 5 summers as well), the Indiana Theater here in the 'Haute is offering a Free Family Film Festival. Rock on.
Not having to pay to test out our almost-three-year-old in a real movie theater for the first time? Free.

The look on his face and the audible, "WOW!!!!!!!!" when we walked into the old theater? Yeah, pretty much priceless.
For starters, I was seriously excited to share this experience with McKinley (as always, sad when we can't include Cary...darn jobs...blecchhhh) because this very movie theater is where I remember seeing my first movie with MY Mom...E.T.! Yes, that dates me...a week post 32nd bday too. Ugh. McKinley was in love. Obviously so was Savannah, who joined us with her Mommy too! I love that we did this! I'm hoping as the summer pushes on we can include more friends, more family and even those Daddies of McKinley and Savannah on their days off!

As we walked into the huge, still beautiful but in need of renovation, theater we were welcomed with that familiar smell of delicious popcorn...which we promptly purchased. We headed inside and so many memories came flooding back for me. I don't think I have been in the Indiana for a very, very long time...but I have always loved it. I went to movies there as a small child, in junior high I attended a movie there with friends and no parents! As a teenager I remember being there with my girlfriends and seeing my crush sitting in the next row and barely focusing on the movie - though I think it was either Batman or Speed...maybe both??? I remember performing there with my dance company (which was an amazing experience) and accompanying a friend on a date in which she was much too chicken to attend herself...I went as the third wheel because Cary was working nights at the time, and thus unable to join us.

Today definitely surpasses all of those memories. Being there with MY SON was incredible! I am definitely reaping the rewards of motherhood in moments like this.

I was so proud of McKinley, he sat through the ENTIRE movie, transfixed during part of it, even! We saw Ice Age 3, Dawn of the Dinosaurs. Cute! Robin and I really appreciated the little bits of adult humor, it kept us entertained in the extremely uncomfortable seats (hello? We need some padding in those suckers, please...). Savannah enjoyed herself quite a bit too, requesting to "watch it again! NOW!" several times. The kiddos even humored us mommies after the show with a quick photo shoot atop the balcony steps.

Once we left the theater, everyone came back to our house for an hour of play time in the new playroom (that currently still looks like the old nursery, but is getting painted next week - hell or high water, as they say). Robin and I agreed that we definitely have to hit the Indiana again for an awesome playdate!

What a great day!

Lynn

No comments: