Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day Parade

Wow. Today was touching, to say the least.
Cary had the day off and wanted to attend the Veteran's Day Parade, so on this brisk morning we headed downtown to find a spot with a good view of the parade.

Leading the parade was the funeral procession of a local fallen soldier, who was returned home just the day before. It was heart-wrenching. I did not know him, though I know many of his friends, but my heart aches for his family...especially his mother, whom I could not get off my mind as the herse carrying her son's flag-draped casket slowly drove by. I couldn't help but shed a tear, and I was not alone. Soon, in the procession came a local chapter of high school R.O.T.C. kids. And I mean KIDS. I stood there in total shock, I couldn't move, my heart was aching again for the mothers of these children - SO YOUNG! I could not picture my McKinley out there, I don't think my heart could take it.

On a happy note, the parade was a rousing success for McKinley. He adored the marching band and has been talking about them since. He got to see LOADS of motorcycles (the honorable freedom riders), buses, police cars AND a firetruck. He was all about it! When the somber stuff was going on, he had a good idea that it was a quiet time, he could feel it as everyone else. But when that band was playing, he was waving his flag and jumping up and down!

I feel like we did a good thing today. We helped honor a local hero, MANY local heros - and maybe we are teaching our son how important our freedom is and how we must be thankful for everything we have. That's a big lesson for a two year old, but one worth continuing for sure.

Lynn

No comments: