Saturday, November 14, 2009

Another Great Project!

Today I took McKinley to our very first official Lowe's Build & Grow Clinic. Since our first project was from Zoo Boo (FrankenSTRING Project, see post below) and it was too crowded, we brought it home to finish. This time, we signed up very early for the clinic and secured our place in line.

McKinley and I got all settled on the floor with our little carpet square, put on the adorable apron and safety goggles, laid out all of our supplies (everything is provided!) and set out to build a nifty garage, complete with car and Jimmie Johnson decals to boot.

Truth be told, I was a bit worried at first. I am confident that I can do a lot of 'handy' things, but I was concerned about having to concentrate on reading instructions in the midst of banging hammers and many, MANY kids and adults doing their own projects. Thankfully, these projects are truly built for little hands; everything was so easy to figure out and complete. McKinley got totally lost in building his garage (including garage doors! His favorite!), he enjoyed it so much. On several occasions he looked up at me with those gorgeous, dark brown eyes of his and smiled from ear to ear - showing me every tooth in his little mouth. That was a face of pure joy. It warms my heart...and yes, makes me cry. lol

I've decided whomever came up with this idea for Lowe's is a GENIUS. Seriously. I mean, not only are the projects current with colors and trends, they're fun, they provide a nice challenge while still being easy enough to thoroughly enjoy (uh hem...easy enough for parents too), and they are totally free. And we certainly can't forget the famed Lowe's apron and safety goggles that come with - these people even thought of patches and certificates you are awarded with once you have completed your project! I sent the patches and apron home with Mom today, she'll sew them on for us and I can't WAIT to see McKinley's TWO patches of completion on his apron!
Without being all down and depressing, obviously the economic downturn has changed a lot of things for people, communities, companies and just about everything else around us. Somehow Lowe's has continued doing these projects, plus they're actually doing a total of FOUR clinics this month. It's nice to see such a large company doing something that can make ANY kid smile - no matter their income bracket. That's pretty priceless these days. I'm so impressed.

McKinley has yet another fun toy for his playroom, but this one took a little effort and learning. I know he'll play with it for a long time and will truly always know that it this garage is something WE made together. Add that to the long list of beautiful lessons learned!

Lynn

No comments: