Sunday, November 8, 2009

A gorgeous fall afternoon with my boy...















Is this not the quintessential picture of a happy toddler????? I LOVE THIS!!!!!


Earlier today (um, okay technically it was yesterday because I'm up late again and just now taking time to update), upon realizing that it was GORGEOUS and WARM outside I asked McKinley if he would like to go to the park. Duh, like I had to ask. Then I asked if he would like to have a picnic. Again...don't bother asking! So I packed a quick lunch, ran a few errands, picked up a couple of extra things for our impromptu lunch and we finally arrived at the park. I chose a parking spot and McKinley set out to find our special picnic spot, which was just the perfect sunshine-laden spot between two bare trees with a view of the little train garage, train tracks and the playground. I set off to fill our pitas (or is it pita even when plural??? Have to look that up to be sure) with the yummy hummus we picked up on our way to the park and cheese along with a mish mash of other healthy goodies, and we chowed and chatted. It was perfect. I had a great time sharing my pita with McKinley and we even munched on a little cookie.

I noticed some birds chirping, then heard that tell-tale sound of knocking, and I got to introduce McKinley to a small group of "WOODPEPPERS", as he so fondly refers to them now. He kept saying, "Mommy! See Woodpeppers???" I laughed and laughed!

Then, a ladybug landed on our blanket (a long-time favorite of mine). McKinley went in for a closer look, held it in his hand and when the ladybug flew onto his pants he was so excited that 'she' wanted to stay by his side. Pretty soon she flew away, and he watched as she moved locations.

Soon Nonna stopped by (since she lives right beside the park) and did their annual 'walking of the train track' (Note: this is not a real train track...it's a ride-on train that has been around for AGES - since I rode it as a child, at least!). When they returned, McKinley handed me a pretty silk flower he found on the ground along the way - obviously left over from the previous weekend's fall decor. How sweet!

I think we all ate today up - it won't be long before there's snow on the ground and a real chill in the air. I'll miss all the spring/summer/fall nature, so it was nice to give us a brief Indian Summer to enjoy - short sleeves and all!
Lynn

No comments: