Friday, September 4, 2009

Life Lessons and Sound Advice I

Ever since my days of impending motherhood I've long thought of all the important life lessons I need to teach McKinley...because I am CERTAIN he will be considerably less hard-headed than his Mommy.
Yep, I'm SURE.
Well, all along I've been trying to figure out where I can put these little life lessons for easy access...then it hit me the other day...DUH, Lynn...THE BLOG. He loves (LOVES!) to look at the blog and see all the pictures. Sometimes I read the posts to him or sometimes we just talk about who we see in a particular slide show I've created or we just talk about what fun we had that day. Regardless, we all enjoy this time. So, why wouldn't I add these lessons?
My new found theories in life, established over the last 3 or 4 years, are based on true life experiences of my own or of Cary's and mine, collectively. Sometimes I screw up, sometimes I'm not the one who screws up, sometimes we're talking about a no-win situation. Bottom line is that these are life lessons, collected over the years and meant to be gone over, thoroughly, and to be learned from. I hope McKinley and any other child/children of ours will truly learn from these observances, mistakes, episodes, what-have-you...if not, hey...maybe they'll find them funny!

Life Lesson #1: Be nice to your peers, you never know when you're going to have to ask to borrow their Kroger card. This being nice thing starts early, so pay attention.
I speak from my own experiences here...junior high was...um...NOT.FUN.AT.ALL. Awkward, to say the least, hormonal and walking that fine line of that time when you're just really sure that the opposite sex totally still has cooties, even though he/she is pretty cute - this time isn't easy for anyone. It's so important to be nice, even if you don't want to be, because that person you're making fun of, tormenting, or just giving crap may very well be:
A. A future President
B. A future Boss
C. Someone you're forced to stand in line with at the check out
C. Your own spouse!
D. All of the above!

You never, ever know.
Now, I'm not suggesting you kiss every one's you-know-what - stand up for yourselves by all means, but just be a gentleman/woman and don't be a butt head.
It happened to me this week, a guy who used to torment me in junior high - albeit mildly - was forced to humble himself (whilst totally picturing all those times he tapped my shoulder and acted like he wasn't there) by asking if he may borrow my Kroger card.
Yes, we chatted it up for a bit, caught up on each other, so to speak...but we both remembered. You could just tell.
So, my child/children...be nice to people, you just never know.
Lynn

No comments: