Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Fun-Filled Learning Adventure...and a helicopter too!

I heard the radio announcement and I knew that McKinley Shane Vernon had to be there. Plans were made, schedules rearranged, and we were ON! It's Safety Day...that means FIRETRUCKS, POLICE CARS, AND HELICOPTERS - OH MY!
The whole morning McKinley gabbed on and on about going to go see the firetrucks, little did he know how closely he would see them! We picked up Nonna and headed to see what we could see. What a great community event geared toward children - there were free I.D. cards (which we missed out on because the line was too long and they closed it down - next time though), balloons, prizes (McKinley won a t-shirt that will fit him when he's fifteen and a great MEMORY game!), lots of firetrucks, firemen, police officers and cars, and even a med-evac and crew.
McKinley and I got to go inside the 'fire house' which demonstrates what it's like during a fire. And McKinley had the distinct privilege of 'driving' the actual firetruck - he'll talk about this for days! He smiled from ear to ear - until someone saw him smiling and then he tried REALLY hard to be Mr. Serious and not smile...but the corners of his mouth gave way and I knew he was pleased as punch.
The helicopter was an unexpected treat. McKinley also got to ride inside the med-evac and see all the buttons and gadgets inside. He was in awe. As we made our way to the police car, I vowed (or willed, perhaps) that this would be the only time he would be inside a police car in any form. Still whispering silent prayers for that one...God willing. McKinley thought that was pretty cool indeed.

Then onto another firetruck...this one red, like McKinley's, as he pointed out. And this time, these firemen decided McKinley needed to sit in the chief's seat. Yeah, he pretty much ate that up!

Ahhh, but the icing on the cake, cherry on top, highlight of the day was sitting on the grass watching the helicopter take off right in front of our very eyes. Oh, McKinley was impressed! "I see helicopter! It's FLYING!"

The entire culmination of the whole experience were all he talked about until naptime...and then again all night tonight! McKinley is a very happy boy tonight!

Lynn

No comments: