Sadly, last Wednesday, April 29th my Aunt Judy lost her long battle with cancer. It happened so much sooner than any of us expected or anticipated - especially since just a few weeks ago her doctors estimated it would be around 3 months. We were so sad to receive a call Monday evening from Uncle Dave, who was reporting that things had taken a turn for the worse and Aunt Judy would only be with us for a few more days. We were all so shocked and so upset that we were on vacation in Missouri and not close by. I hated being away from two of the most caring people I know as they struggled with a hard goodbye. There was nothing we could do.
Uncle Dave called around 6:30 am on Wednesday to share with us that Aunt Judy had passed in the early morning hours. We are so heartbroken by this loss. Aunt Judy's visitation was Sunday and what an evening it was. I expected a lot of people, but I think the proper term would be 'gobs'. Literally, GOBS of people showed up to pay their respects to my aunt and uncle. Doctors and nurses who have cared for Aunt Judy for nearly 5 years came, distant relatives, people who became friends with my aunt and uncle during treatments, a very dear friend of MINE, and so many other people that it literally meant standing-room-only to offer condolences to Uncle Dave and his family. Not to even mention the HUGE line that stretched through the entire funeral home and out the door with waits of an hour and a half and more for the entire 4 hour showing that went even passed that. I walked in and just started crying at the sheer sight of so many people there to honor my kind and loving aunt. I think it says a lot of her character to have touched so many lives in just 59 years.
The funeral was tough...none are easy, huh? Mom read a beautiful poem that has meant a lot to her through many losses, and no doubt resonated with everyone there today. Cary was given the honor of serving as a pall bearer and I am tearfully proud of how well he represented my side of the family. Aunt Judy loved Cary very much, their light-hearted personalities compliment each other. He made her laugh a lot.
Today I am so very sad for myself, for my Uncle Dave - who has lost the soul mate he has known since her birth, their children and grandchildren, my mother, my son (who loved to kiss Aunt Judy) and my husband - among so many others. Today I am beginning to be comforted in knowing that my aunt's long and tiresome battle is over and she may be at peace with our Lord and will no longer suffer in pain. Today I am comforted by my family's ability to come together again in loss. It did our hearts a lot of good to see McKinley meet many of his relatives from my side for the first time. He's fond of the word 'uncle' - having recently mastered saying Uncle Mike (for my brother-in-law), now he's happily added Uncle Dave and Uncle Tim to his repertoire...as well as Aunt Mary! Now, Aunt Judy would have loved that. She was always so positive about family.
It is a sad time, but what a beautiful way to honor my aunt's life with celebration.
Lynn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment