It's official.
Today I found my Mommy Voice.
I finally know how I will react when someone purposely seeks out to intentionally hurt my son.
I remained fairly controlled, but bubbling inside of me was every single four-letter word that has ever existed and they were BURNING my lungs, just itching to come out. Had those words not been directed at a 4 year old in the middle of a busy playground perhaps my story today would be different. Alas, I was the censored version of my Mommy-self toward the boy who shoved McKinley down the metal steps and toward his grandparents.
The story goes like this:
We were minding our own business, having a wonderful playdate with Kylie and Lincoln and Kelly and her son, Aiden. We had just told Kylie and Lincoln goodbye and were thinking of heading home ourselves when McKinley climbed onto the playground equipment to go down the big slide.
Out of no where appears this random 4 year old (approx.) who proceeded to RUN up to McKinley and shove him down. FOR NO REASON AT ALL. McKinley was okay, jolted slightly, but no problems. I walked up to the boy and calmly told him that shoving someone for no reason was not acceptable behavior and that if could not play nice he need not play around my son. The grandfather, who was watching from the ground took him away as I told him what his grandson had just done. Kelly complimented me on how I handled that, which made me feel good about my choice to correct this kid.
Just a minute later the boy came our way again - seeking out McKinley like prey, and I'm not exaggerating. I was standing beside McKinley, the boy looked me square in the eye and I gave him a firm look but he didn't budge. The grandfather walked back over and said, 'Please get over here, they do not want to play with you.' I realize that this man meant well, but perhaps a better choice of words were in order because within another few minutes we had a repeat performance.
I was walking behind McKinley who was again climbing up the stairs to go down another slide, when I saw it unfold before my eyes. I could not get there in time, but my voice reached that little brat faster and firmer than he expected. I shouted, 'HEY! NO!' in a very loud but low tone, signaling that I meant business. I couldn't stop him, he got right in McKinley's face, puffed up like an adult male mid-fight, pulled his arms back and shoved McKinley, propelling him down three metal steps and causing him to land on his head.
Here's where I found my voice.
I was so firm and loud that everyone on the playground at that moment stopped dead in their tracks. No one moved. No one made a sound. My voice echoed over the entire area as I scooped up my crying son. I shouted at that freaking brat and his grandfather - who proceeded to whip out his own four letter word in frustration while calling for his wife, I instructed them to get off the playground because this kid couldn't play well with others, and what the heck was wrong with him???? The grandmother came over cooing, asking what had happened, wanting to paw all over McKinley. I jerked her away from us and informed her that her grandson had shoved my son down not once, but twice and was stalking him like prey. I looked them all in the eyes and said, 'Obviously there is something wrong with this child and he needs help for physical aggression'. I don't even care if my words were hurtful, I was shaking, McKinley was screaming in pain and I'd had enough of this playground bully. When they had the audacity to bring the kid over to show him what he had done to McKinley (which did no good, whatsoever), the grandmother said, 'Now, look what you have done to this BABY! You did that!' I interjected and told the kid that he had been very mean and that his behavior was unacceptable and he was very wrong in what he did. I shouted over and over to them to 'get that kid out my face and get him some help, in the form of therapy'. The grandmother said they were leaving and I said, 'Well, I should hope so!' They both apologized all over themselves and the grandfather assured me he would take care of the situation. You could tell it was a learned behavior, not good at such a young age. And I'm sure the behavior was not from the grandparents, who truly seemed caring and kind...I can only imagine this child's situation to be seeking out another child, half his age and size to hurt...intentionally.
Looking back, I know we have been bullied twice during visits to the Children's Museum, and I've been pretty passive. There was certainly no physical harm like in the case today. I was almost mad at myself then for letting things go so easily but tried to chalk it up to showing my son that people are not always nice and bad things do happen and show him to stand up for himself in a reasonable manner. Today, I'm much happier with my reaction. I know I put the fear of God in that kid when I screamed at him and caught him red handed doing a very bad thing. I did what was best and stood up for my son. I'm proud.
Thank GOD McKinley is okay. I've spoken to our pediatrician and know what to look for in case of a concussion, but so far so good. The outcome could have been so much worse because McKinley took a very big, very hard fall - and was shoved, to boot.
Though our playdate ended on a bad note, we had such a great time. McKinley really loves being around Lincoln and Aiden and I'm sure that this incident will not deter him from hitting the park again next week!
Yay for my Mommy Voice.
Lynn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment