Today was amazing. The weather was so beautiful - not hot, kind of cool, perfectly sunny and breezy! The absolute perfect day to fly a kite. It was Cary's idea - and it was a GREAT idea - so we packed up the jogging stroller was various necessities, got on our active wear and walked about a half a mile to this huge open field at a nearby elementary school.
For Easter this year, we'd given McKinley an Elmo inflatable kite, we blew it up and Cary sent Elmo right up into the sky. McKinley was kind of amazed at first, then he started chasing Cary around the field as Elmo continued to fly. He just kept saying, 'Elmo fly!!!' Too cute. .jpg)
After a while Cary showed McKinley how to fly his Elmo, he caught on quickly and loved watching the kite in the sky. We flew the kite for quite a while and reminisced about our own kite flying experiences. I think that's one of the greatest perks of parenting, if you take the time to enjoy it being a parent it's awesome because you can relive your own childhood experiences and also see the unbridled joy in your child's eyes all in one! How great is that? I have always loved holidays and doing fun things, but I notice that I am enjoying these holidays and experiences 100 times more than usual! Today though, I seriously enjoyed our beautful family moment and amid that moment I relived a specific time when my family and I flew a kite in our huge yard. My Dad had gotten this new, kite-flying professional thing that was like a big fishing rod. It took my kite up a bazillion feet higher (okay, not really a bazillion feet, but I was like 9...). I can still picture that thing. I can still picture my Mom out there taking our pictures. I think my Dad had so much more fun with that new toy than anyone, but it was pretty cool to have something like that. Cary also remembers flying a kite in his childhood, we had fun rehashing these stories this afternoon.After we finished flying the kite we played on the school's playground, then walked over to Subway. On our way home we decided to stop off at Rural King - the place where McKinley first saw his chickies. Well, the chickies are all in their new homes so we missed them, but he did rather enjoy throwing pennies in the decorative pond. He just kept saying, "Mommy, I throw a penny!" So cute!
We got home and McKinley and Cary rested on the big overstuffed chair, where McKinley literally fell asleep on Cary's chest - like the old days, as Cary said. Our boy was exhausted, but he had so much fun! We all did.What a happy Sunday afternoon!
Lynn








No comments:
Post a Comment