Friday, December 21, 2007

McKinley meets SANTA!!!











Tonight was the big night...the one Cary and I have talked about for years. Tonight was THE night we took our son to meet the wonderful man who brings presents 'round to all the children of the world!
We were so excited, though for McKinley it was pretty uneventful. Just your typical evening of sitting on the lap of a red-velvet-suited-man-in-a-funny-hat-and-big-black-boots kind of night. Until, that is, he discovered Santa's real-live beard. I felt so sorry for the jolly old elf as our son tugged away at his face. I would very much like to share that when I apologized to Santa for the beard-tugging, he promptly told me that it was just fine, that he was used to it and that he was just glad it wasn't his chest hair, "particularly those ones up by the neck, they tend to hurt". That is a direct quote. OKAY THEN! Didn't need to know that Santa has chest hair, but whatever!
Mommy really struggled to keep a straight face for that one...
McKinley was a huge hit with our Santa and his 'elves', who no longer dress the part, by the way. What happened there? Did I miss the part where the elves get to wear jeans and a t-shirt? Must be contractual, like they're on strike along with the writers in Hollywood or something???? Poor Santa, sweltering in that HOT suit, while his elves snap away kiddy-pics in comfortable clothing.

I can't believe Christmas is really here! I keep saying how quickly it has 'snuck' up on us, well...its true! But we are SO looking forward to seeing all of our friends and family and sharing in this special time with them. Cary and I have a few gifts to finish, but we feel pretty ready under the circumstances. McKinley has some fun stuff coming his way! I can't wait to see how he rips into the paper! It will no doubt be the highlight to his day.
This Monday, we hosted the annual sorority Christmas party in our home. It was nice to relax with my sisters, I had a great time and hope that they did too. I made mulled wine and Godiva Truffletinis, which I thought were fabulous...don't think they were as big a hit to everyone else though. Oh well! I love to be their hostess whenever I can. I'd post pictures, but we didn't take any! Oops.
I thought I would post some pictures of McKinley's Christmas tree and his other decorations in the nursery. There are some special stories of the things we've placed in his room. First, the tree: on it hangs a very special ornament, one we had made just for him. It is an imprint of his hand, across the top it says "McKinley's First Christmas" along with the date of his birth. We had it made by Hadley Pottery and it turned out beautifully. Also hanging on his tree are some fun little baby things like pacifiers, diaper pins, and some other brand new baby essentials that we will be donating to charity after the holiday with diapers, a few outfits and some other goodies. This is something we would like to try and do every year, hang items pertaining to McKinley's age on his tree and donate them along with a package for a child of his age who is in need. We feel it is important for him to learn early to give to others, it is so rewarding.






On his changing table and shelves sit a few special pieces from my childhood. Anyone remember Rodney the Reindeer from Hallmark? A long time ago, my parents got me a Rodney...I LOVED him. I still have him. Somewhere along the line, Rodney took a sabatical, but HE'S BACK! (check out http://www.rodneyreindeer.com/ too fun!!!) So, McKinley had to have his very own Rodney, who is new and improved-he's so soft and fluffy now!
Also on the shelves are a collection of Santa music boxes. These were gifts from Diane & Brent, my Godparents. When I was younger they always gave me a sweet collectible, I am so thankful to have these pieces to share with our son! Its so nice to have something like that to pass along to him. There is also a train on the large shelf above the changing table. This train was a gift from my Mom a few years ago. She got it as a small momento to remind me of my Grandpa, who was a long-time employee of the railroads here in T.H. Little did we know that one day it would grace McKinley's room, who is named after my Grandpa, Clarence McKinley Crecelius.

We had so much fun decorating McKinley's room and love how it all turned out...I think the snowflakes are McKinley's favorite though, he just gazes at them and talks to them. It is very sweet to watch.

He has made many changes again this week. Our little man is now constantly reaching out for us, and for anything he can grab for that matter. He is also further exploring his vocal tones and pitches and has some new noises that are so nice! Yesterday he even sang for me while jumping in his jumperoo. It was the most beautiful little sound.

As for food, I'm happy to report that the bananas are a total hit! We have found that when he really likes a food he does this funny little coo that is seriously starting to sound like, "Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmm." And he is certainly enjoying having rice cereal in the mornings and a '1st food' in the evening. I think it has changed his timing too, he wants to go to bed a little earlier and has lengthened his naps as well. All in all, he is a very happy baby. We are so thankful for that.

This time I will close with our Christmas Card (courtesy of secretstorksurprise.com). Cary and I had a blast taking these pictures with McKinley, who was such a good sport! I'll post full views of these pictures on Christmas Eve, for the full effect.
Have a wonderful Holiday Weekend!
Lynn






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing...I loved the chocotini thingy....just couldn't partake in as much as I would have liked (but, someday, soon, we will!) Thanks for opening your house, and more importantly, your heart to us! It was FABULOUS!