Whew!Time for a breather!
Over the last few days we have been so busy, it is nice to have a day to just chill. Cary and I have SO enjoyed watching our son on his first Christmas. We were able to do so many things and start some really wonderful traditions. We have many pictures and events to share.
Usual Midnight Mass go-ers, this year as first time parents we opted to head to the family liturgy in the early evening at Church in hopes to help make it a pleasant, yet still religious event. What a success! We had a great time watching all the young children of St. Benedict's act out the story of the Birth of Christ. As I watched Joseph (with Mary, of course), I couldn't help but hope there is a 'little' bit of Mommy in McKinley (I was very active in Children's Theatre and Drama camp-I know...shocking, huh?). Maybe someday he will take time out from his busy sports schedule to play a leading role in the church Christmas play! Hee hee hee. Just once?!
The church was beautiful and magical, as it always is, but even more so at Christmastime. My favorite part was walking into a darkened church only lit by candlelight. It was so beautiful. McKinley even seemed so taken by the excitement of the evening, he watched everything so intently and was truly an angel. Afterward, we went for some Mexican food and out for a few last minute things.
When we got home, we all got ready for bed, comfy in our jammies and started the new 'old tradition' of reading 'The Night Before Christmas' to McKinley. Happily, the cats joined in on the sleep-inducing storytime. McKinley was fast asleep soon after and Mommy and Daddy set to work getting everything ready for Santa. We made cookies, finished wrapping some of our own presents and waited for the big man to bring McKinley's goodies around.
In the morning, we exchanged our gifts and then invited Mom over for coffee, cinnamon rolls and more gift-giving! I think Mom really enjoyed watching McKinley 'open' his gifts. I also think she was as eager to rip them open as we were! And can I just say how THRILLED I am with my new Rachael Ray stove-top griddle/grill and my Paula Deen Cookware?!?! Just to name a few... LOVE IT! We had a great morning together, it was SO NICE!
The Vernon's got packed up and headed south-ish, to Btown where McKinley met most of his cousins, Great Aunts and Great Uncles for the very first time. He was such a good sport! He let the entire family pass him around, interacting with each of them. While Grandma V opened all her gifts, McKinley sat in the middle of the circle with Grandpa, intently watching everyone. Next year I kinda doubt he'll be so quiet!!!!!Grandma V's lasagna was SO awesome, as always. Never did I know that anything other than turkey, ham, mashed potatoes and noodles were served as Christmas dinner...until I joined a true Italian family! I will always love my mashed potatoes and noodles, but man, that lasagna is out of this world. My mouth is watering...seriously.
When the evening was over, we headed back to Cary's parent's house to spend the night. Santa is just so used to hitting their house for Logan and Mason, so he went ahead and dropped off a few things for McKinley while he was there. McKinley has been a VERY GOOD BOY! Santa treated him well by making trips to Nonna's, Grandma & Grandpa's and our house too!
Today we got to visit Cary's Mamaw while in Btown. We all enjoyed spending some holiday time together and McKinley especially enjoyed 'talking' to her. He seemed so captivated just watching and listening to his Great-Grandmother. We certainly had a very successful trip!
When we got home and settled in, it was time for McKinley's first try at prunes! YUMMY! He mmm, mmmm, mmmmmm-ed the whole time. Afterward, we were all anxious to break out some of his new toys, so the three of us got on the floor and played together. McKinley rolled from back to tummy for us right there!!! He's done this before with help, and he rolled from belly to back at 8 days old, but this was the very first time he actually rolled from back to belly ALL BY HIMSELF!
I cried.
Daddy cheered.
McKinley got very excited.
Valentine (our white cat) was even in the room to witness the whole thing.
It was a moment!
Also new in McKinleyLand...for a little while now he has been sitting up by himself in the bathtub. Well, he's honed his skill because now he will sit ANYWHERE by himself, and very straight too! We are so proud!
And GUESS WHAT ELSE????
He's giggling now! I mean REAL LIVE GIGGLING. Its the most infectious and beautiful sound EVER (I'm sure every mother has said that). It is this precious, little throaty laugh that seems to be uncontrollable and just bubbles up from inside. Ohhhhh, that makes me cry too. LOL.
Between the emotion of all the new things McKinley is doing and the holiday itself, its a wonder I'm able to hold it together at all. Ha!
We have really had a wonderful holiday and are very thankful for being able to spend such quality time with some of the people we love. We hope that everyone had as great a holiday as we did!
And many more to come!
Happy New Year is right around the corner!!!!!
Lynn








No comments:
Post a Comment