Monday, March 14, 2011

I love a Parade

I can honestly say that McKinley and fam have been waiting for this event for nearly an entire year...since the moment we signed McKinley up for preschool, to be exact. McKinley's first year as a participant for the annual St. Patrick's Day Parade was a hit!

Ever the lover of everything themed and holiday, I have long stocked up on St. Patrick's Day attire and some decor. This year I even scored a hilarious stick-on green mustache, which I promptly mounted on a stick. Mustache in hand, McKinley put on his green, some tattoos, a shamrock tie and some beads as I loaded up and decorated the wagon (decked in green myself, of course...and some funny shamrocks growing from my head), we headed for the parade line up. In the mix with McKinley's preschool class, we were one of only 3 preschool participants who chose to walk - which was no question for McKinley because that is the only place where he could throw candy from...and I'm proud to report he threw THREE large bags of candy all by himself!

Something I did not prepare myself for was seeing as many friends as we did! The minute we hit the Boulevard we saw several friends. I tried so hard to resist chatting...but I might have failed at that...like a hundred times. There was my high school friend Laura, there were a few couples from church, Cary's co-worker's wife and kids, Sarah and fam, The Semmler Fam, and of course...Daddy. There were high school classmates, a few of my Mom's friends. Oh my gosh - so many people, such a fast little parade. We got behind. Waaaaay behind and I had to book it to keep from holding the parade up. Ooops. Next year we might ride in the truck, then I can just wave and talk until we are out of earshot. Lesson learned, but we had a great time, me and McKinley!

Once we had arrived at school, McKinley and I pulled over to watch the rest of the parade with a few of his classmates. He really enjoyed watching and when Miss Kymberli came over to visit, bringing more classmates in tow, he enjoyed making them all laugh with his green mustache on a stick even more!

The day was gorgeous - much warmer than last year...and drier, for that matter. I can only hope that this was the first of many fun-filled St. Patrick's Day weekends. It was awesome to share this with McKinley, Cary and so many good friends.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Lynn

No comments: