Thursday, December 17, 2009

Time to bake the cookies!

As a little girl I looked forward every year to baking and decorating cookies with the women in my family. I can remember those cookie cutters, the dragees we used (which are like trying to find a needle in a haystack these days...because they're METAL! lol), I remember how my Grandma's kitchen smelled and how much I truly enjoyed everything about that tradition. I've missed that so much over the years.
So, this year McKinley is SO ready! Today we donned our aprons (my super cute Christmas 'Kiss the Cook!' apron, courtesy of Jodi, and McKinley's funny little 'Baker in Training' apron) and we set out to make us some yummy good sugar cookie dough. I stepped out of the box a little and opted for Martha's famous sugar cookies instead of my Grandma's. Maybe next year, I wanted to see how good this would be! I'm proud to report that as the time went on, we made two batches of dough and McKinley was a pro at adding the ingredients right along with me! His favorite part was my own pride and joy --- my coveted KitchenAid stand mixer. I remember the day we registered for that thing on our wedding registry...oh, I digress, but I so love that thing! It made me feel all grown up!

Anyway, clearly it does the same thing for my son as he ADORED all of its functions. Hilarious! We mixed and measured and sifted and sugared and soon we had four discs of dough resting and cooling in the fridge.

Later, I rolled and cut them (by this time, McKinley was napping) and we will decorate them very soon! Unfortunately, I am quickly becoming very sick...for the 2nd time this month, so I'm not sure if we will be able to finish the cookies. Instead, we may make a fresh batch. For now, I have some pretty cute pics, two flour-covered aprons and some fun memories with my boy.

Here's to our own traditions!

Lynn

No comments: