Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Little Getaways and Big Milestones












Just got back from those monthly trips to Indy that we've been doing for over a year now. We're close to being done...two more months and Cary's juror days are o.v.e.r.
This time, while Cary worked McKinley and Mommy played! We had so much fun in the pool at the hotel - the first day that is all we did all day long! McKinley loves to be in the water, so we swam and kicked on his little aligator kick board, then he jumped into my arms from the side of the pool - he loved it. Every few minutes we would watch a big airplane coming in for a landing - seriously a close up view. McKinley was obsessed. He's say, 'Here comes, Mommy!!!' when we'd hear the engine roar.
The best part of THAT day happened while we watched for one of these planes to come in. McKinley and I were counting down until we'd see another plane when out of no where he started counting to 10...on his own...unprompted by me. I nearly swallowed the pool. Yuck, but worth it.
On our last day it rained...and rained...and rained. So, we packed up where Cary dropped us off at Chase Tower to eat at the Bistro -it was VERY cool and McKinley really enjoyed watching all the buses. There were a LOT of buses.
Later we headed off for the Children's Museum where we stood in lines all day long. Never have I seen this place so flipping packed! The construction is done and it's unreal. The convenience is outstanding, I'm seriously impressed. Doctors offices should be run like this. Oh wait...my Mom's is! lol

Anyway, we rounded the corner and McKinley let out this loud giggle - he knew exactly where he was. Unfortunately, once again we had to wait in line to go into the playscape, but when we did McKinley went into action. He was everywhere, but he did spent a lot of time at this giant wooden box that has doors (surprise --- doors!) and gobs of foam blocks to shove inside. So that's what he did...in and out with the blocks. Until this precious Brittish Boy came up to McKinley and took a block. The Dad was not happy and immediately insisted he return the block. I told him it was okay and that McKinley was just throwing them. The young boy came right up to me and said *insert cute, thick Brittish accent* "Excuuuse me, might I play with your son's blooocks as well? We'd like to put them on the traaaaain."
I melted.
At that moment if there'd been a block on the ceiling I would have gotten it for this sweet, polite child with the darling accent.
He kept it up too...he interacted with McKinley, crawling in and out of the giant box, swapping blooocks and telling me stories of his train loading adventures. He's say, 'Ohhh! This would fit lovely on the traaaain.' I was mezmerized. This sweet family, oh, they were so polite and had the best accents! I wanted to invite them to dinner with my family but thought it perhaps a bit stalker-ish.
I'll never forget that little Brittish boy and his blooocks. Cute.

So, on with the play! McKinley, who had been equally as entranced with the Brittish boy, eventually moved on to other great places; the water table (where he only wanted to dunk his hands and then go hit the button on the hand dryer), the sand table (where he thought it might be fun to jam his rake into the sand and then stick it in his mouth real fast - ugh), the lawnmower (where I served as guardian of the public's feet - you are all very welcome), coloring (where we made rubbings of a carousel horse) and loads of sliding, climbing, scooting and rolling.








I finally persueded McKinley away from the playscape - reluctantly, of course - to come with me to see those pretty horsies again. I even promised an elevator ride - so much for trying to fit in extra walking, my kid LOVES the elevator, especially those big, bright buttons.

We got up to the carousel and my heart sank...we had to pick up Cary soon and the LINE was FIFTEEN minutes long. I didn't care, we have to do this, it's OUR tradition! So, I got a token and prayed the line would move quickly...and it did! We were on there in no time! McKinley picked out his own horse this time, I strapped him in and off we went! He was even bold enough to gently push my protective arm away as if to say, "I got it Mom. I'm a big boy now." Little did he know, my arm was still there, grazing his back. hee hee hee

We had a great time on this trip, those Children's Museum visits are so much fun. Can't say enough about it!
Good times!
Lynn

No comments: