Sunday, October 4, 2009

Race for the Cure!!!

Yesterday was such a wonderful day! An annual thing for my family, we participated in Race for the Cure once again. It's hard to believe that this is McKinley's THIRD Race, but it is amazing to be able to share in this special day with my son. It's a day to celebrate those who have fought and pushed on to become surviviors, and a day to memorialize those who have lost that battle. Always on my mind this day is Jackie...long time bff of my Mom's and someone I loved as another important mother-figure. I have many fond memories of Jackie, but one thing that always stuck out about her was the stickers she always added to every card and envelope she ever sent. It was so personal, that little token can probably be credited for my love of receiving cards - any card! She is missed.

This day now makes me celebrate those I know who have become survivors of the disease...friends of mine who are far too young to have to deal with such a battle in the prime of child-rearing years and at the beginnings of their marriages. They know who they are, I continue to be so very proud of those friends!

On a lighter note, the day was gorgeous - a little breezy, but downright beautiful. Mom, McKinley & I enjoyed chatting with old friends and enjoying all the festivities. We wish Cary could have joined us, but he had to work.

I just can't say enough about how important it is for me to have my son by my side at this particular event. Though he is young, we can see he is so compassionate and loving and this day is an good thing to be a part of...we never know what the future is to bring and someday he may have a better understanding of the battles involved in treatments of a disease such as cancer.

We had a wonderful time, and even put some pink on our boy! Pink ribbon tatoos!!!

Lynn

No comments: