Valarie is the sister of Vanessa, McKinley's Godmother. As I have gotten to know Valarie over the last 4 1/2 years I've found she is just as sweet as her older sister. Matter of fact, the entire family always makes us feel so very welcome in the many events we have shared together.
Cary and I were honored to be invited to share in the wedding festivities and to be witness to the couple's very special day. It was obvious that Tony & Valarie were smitten and totally caught up in the emotion behind the day. We had a wonderful time together - just the two of us! - and it was so nice to spend a little time with Vanessa & Aaron too!

McKinley and his Nonna had a lovely time waiting FOREVER for a table at The Cheesecake Factory, but they did see Marvin Harrison (GO COLTS!) at Sak's. Afterward, the two hunkered down in the hotel and McKinley was quickly off to dreamland after to prepare for his busy pumpkin picking.
The next day it was off to the Indiana Transportation Museum for their annual Pumpkin Train. This was our first time and definitely something we all enjoyed so much we plan to continue this family themed event.
Before the train ride we got to jump on one of the museum's trains, complete with a Mail Car from the early 1920's. I know that was very cool for Cary to see how it was done in his Grandfather's Day. It was also pretty cool for Mom and I to have an opportunity to take in what had no doubt been a part of my Grandpa's long-time job as a 'railroader'.
We soon boarded the passenger train and took a nap-inducing half hour ride to Cicero, Indiana. We got off at the local FFA chapter's pumpkin patch, complete with petting zoo, face painting stations and straw maze. McKinley really enjoyed the petting zoo and when he met the little pig he said, "Hi, Goo!!!". (Note: Goo is the nickname of our cat Gunther Goo and the first name McKinley learned after Mama and Dadda. Gunther thanks us every chance he gets for constantly being heckled by his little brother who shouts, "GOO! Hi, GOO!" He loves it...we know it)
McKinley also got to meet two beautiful rabbits a bunch of chickens, a calf and some ducks! He was pretty taken by the pig - it made him giggle hysterically - but he really enjoyed the ducks too...whom also got the "Hi, Goo!!!" treatment. I think the chickens and the calf left him a bit speechless.
After the petting zoo it was off to the face painting station where we opted for the I.U. emblem on McKinley's arm. What? You thought we'd ask for Purdue instead? hahahaha
Afterward we went pumpkin picking! We picked out one teeny-tiny pumpkin perfect for McKinley and two big, beautiful pumpkins to go along with the little guy. I was pretty darned impressed with this pumpkin patch. These kids had obviously worked very hard on their annual fundraiser and I was glad to support them. It was their jobs to bring out their own animals for each scheduled pumpkin train visit, they were also solely responsible for this big patch of land dedicated to the pumpkins. They ran the entire thing, pumpkin painting, face painting, cashier stations and all! Each child who arrived received a balloon from the FFA members and someone even created this adorable little house that was PERFECT for picture taking.
Not only was the day really nostalgic with the museum and passenger train ride, it turned out to be a beautiful, warm day in the Indiana countryside. We all really enjoyed ourselves and can't wait to go back next year. Nonna gave McKinley a special "Pumpkin Train" t-shirt as a reminder of our fun adventure, but I'd say it's something none of us will soon forget.
Lynn











No comments:
Post a Comment