Wait.
Did I just say that?
Could it be that our boy's FIRST birthday is really here?
I get teary-eyed just thinking about it.
My, how our precious son has changed and grown and developed. My, how our precious son has changed the world as we knew it. What a smile he brings to our faces each day just with a silly jibber-jabber sound, or by clapping for no apparent reason, or by snuggling in real close and sighing. Was there a time before him? Yes, but it certainly was boring in comparison to the pacifier runs, incessant bottle washing (because you KNOW I insist we do it by hand, with non-toxic, biodegradable, plant-based dish washing liquid), and silly sounds we suddenly are professionals at making. I mean, who ever thought it would come so natural to do all but stand on your head, in public just to get that infectious giggle out of your kids?! It's GREAT!
I can honestly tell you that in the last year of our lives, Cary and I have become quite proficient at the following:
*calculating total fluid ounces of formula consumed by McKinley, as well as vegetables, meats and fruit and the baby food pyramid
*multi-tasking, one handed
*swooping (as in things OUT of McKinley's little grasp, very, very quickly)
*knowing and predicting his every move, every sound, every mood before he even knows it's happening.
And finally...my favorite:
*waking up, numerous times throughout the night, every night, just to see how McKinley is...that's a big one for me especially. Prior to motherhood I could easily sleep through a flipping hurricane and not be any the wiser.
As I anticipate the weekend's festivities, words cannot express the emotion of motherhood behind this big event. Can it really be that a year ago tonight TWO of us had checked into the hospital but THREE would be coming home? I remember every second of those last few days before we became parents (um, whomever said you forget these painful things CLEARLY did not have the memory I do. HOW can you FORGET pain like THAT?). Walking into the hospital, climbing into that ridiculously uncomfortable bed, watching Cary's eyeballs grow bigger and bigger as he calculated the levels of each contraction. Holding our tiny baby boy. Wow.
Though I was so out of it from the anesthesia, I still remember hearing McKinley cry for the first time. I remember the doctor bringing him over to me so I could kiss him...it was seconds before I conked out. I remember barely being able to move, but when he cried I felt this urge to get my sore body going so I could comfort him. I remember watching Cary change his first diaper (Lord knows I still had too much anesthesia and was in NO shape to do that...Cary did a FINE job!!!). I remember everyone who came to see our boy! That's mostly thanks again to Cary. He took pictures of EVERYONE.
I won't go into our birth story in detail...who wants to know that stuff anyway, right? Suffice to say the induction didn't work and after a complete mental breakdown from yours truly, we ended up going C-section VERY early on the morning of Friday the 13th of July.
I think perhaps the funniest thing that happened during our all-too lengthy stay at the hospital was during my Mom's call to everyone to update them on the news that we were going with a C-section. My Mom handed me her phone and I was suddenly telling a girlfriend the story. I do NOT remember what I told her, I only remember saying that I was seriously so hungry. After I was finished, in the most calm, collected tone she could muster my friend asked me this:
"So, just to clarify. You're having a C-section because you're really hungry?" God bless her for making it sound like it was the only reason there was and that it made SO much sense! She never questioned any reasoning of mine, at all. I really wonder what I said to her...hmmm.
And to clear up any confusion...no, I did not choose to go with a C-section because I was very hungry. I WAS very hungry, but there was a failed induction, no progress and a baby that needed to come out that factored MUCH higher in the decision-making process.
Also, I actually got to eat MUCH later than I would have if we had been able to go 'natural'. Ends up I went from 7pm Wednesday night to SATURDAY EVENING before I got to eat. And even then all I was allowed was CHICKEN BROTH and JELLO.
Yuck.
Have you ever tried to EAT chicken broth?
Well, don't.
Trust me.
So, I looked at McKinley's newborn picture tonight. And then I looked at him. It is truly one of God's many miracles to see all the changes and growth of human life. McKinley is our blessing. A beautiful, sweet little soul that was a gift to us, from God. We are forever grateful.
Lynn

Then & Now








No comments:
Post a Comment